Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bonus Blogette

Kung Fu Kayaking

Greetings, Gentle Reader,




I write this from the wilds of New Hampshire, where we have been lakeside at a friend's charming, secluded house since Thursday. Two books and a few glasses of saucy Merlot later, we head home tomorrow.




Yesterday I explored an extraordinary creek - a smallish river, really - in a borrowed kayak. I could tell you about the hellish mosquitoes that pursued me - so large they carried facial expressions - but I won't. I could describe the beaver dam I had to crest, guarded by burly toothed rodents not at all pleased at the intrusion...but not now. (In any event, such description would pale next to a narration of my narrow escape from the animated swamp grasses which tugged at boat and paddle, threatening to enrobe and cocoon me as a marshland captive.) Or, I could paint the image of the moose that loomed out of the swamp grass, casting its shadow over the kayak and grunting in anticipation of its charge...but maybe this, too, is a story for later.




No, Gentle Reader, tonight I simply write to say thank you for the encouragement to lay down another blog entry or two, and I promise you that I will properly do so when we return home tomorrow.




For now, suffice to say that we're low B's on Southwest, assuring Peg and I seats together and pig-out space on the overheads. Life is good.




Thanks for the feedback. I'll come up with something.




Hugs,




Mr. Frei




PS The beaver dam and moose were real. The rest is kind of a blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment